- Grease a piece of wax paper and place on a tray.
- Place sticks or skewers into the middle of the apple at the top of the core.
- Combine sugar, water, corn syrup and black food coloring in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer and stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- After 15 to 20 minutes the caramel will be ready. The temperature must reach 300 degrees.
- Turn the heat off and dip the apples tilting the pan and turning so they get an even coating.
- Place the apples on the wax paper.
- If the coating is too thin, dip apples more and let cool again.
- Allow cooling before serving.