- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.
- To use for 1 or 2 chickens, refrigerate the chicken in the brine for 6 hours; rinse and dry the chicken before cooking.
- For Turkey follow these guidelines:
- Purchase a fresh turkey to eliminate the need to thaw, or completely thaw a frozen turkey.
The night before roasting, remove the giblets and turkey neck. Rinse the turkey inside and out.
- Place your turkey, breast down, in a large container made of food-grade plastic, stainless steel, glass, or a brining bag. Be sure the container will fit in your fridge.
- Add brine, covering the entire turkey.
- Place in the refrigerator for the specified period of time.
- 12 lbs. or less 8 to 12 hrs.
- 12 to 14 lbs. 9 to 14 hrs.
- 20 lbs. and over 15 to 20 hrs.
- Remove turkey from brine after recommended time. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Cook turkey as desired.