4 hours and 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Remove the giblets and neck from the turkey and wash thoroughly, including inside the cavity. Pat dry. Salt inside the cavity and stuff with the apple, onion, garlic, and ginger.
- In a medium bowl, add the softened Challenge Butter and 1 teaspoon of the 5 spice. Season with salt until slightly salty and stir until well combined. Loosen the skin from the breast of the turkey by running your fingers under the skin. Spoon the 5 spice butter under the skin and massage until evenly distributed.
- Drizzle the turkey on all sides with canola oil, generously season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the remaining ½ tablespoon 5 spice. Massage until the spices are evenly distributed. Truss the turkey and place in a roasting pan.
- Add chicken broth to the roasting pan and place in the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, baste, and reduce the heat to 325°F. Continue basting every 30 minutes, adding water to the bottom of the roasting pan 1 cup at a time, as needed.
- Roast until the internal temperature of the breast reaches 160°F. The total cook time should be about 15 minutes per pound of turkey. Glaze in the last 30 minutes of roasting with apple cider glaze (instructions below).
- o make the apple cider glaze, combine the hard apple cider and honey in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until the glaze reaches a light syrup consistency, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- 30 minutes before the turkey is done cooking, brush with the apple cider glaze. Brush, again, after removing the turkey from the oven, if desired.Tent with foil and rest the turkey for at least 45 minutes, then enjoy!