Kids Crew supports parents/guardians and helps children learn how to make healthy choices for their active lifestyles through fun, educational activities! Kids Crew is based on MyPlate, which is the evidence based recommendation for how most Americans should eat in order to achieve or maintain good health. Taking a look at our Kids Crew logo and the MyPlate, you will see similarities in the colors and sizes of the shapes within the logos. For example, just as most of our plates should be fruits and veggies, the green and red wedges, symbolizing veggies and fruits, are larger compared to the other wedges in the Kids Crew logo.
To further support our commitment to health and wellness, our stores are a MyPlate National Strategic Partner. This partnership enables us to have an active role in public health and access to resources to support the health and wellness of our shoppers and communities.
Currently in-store components of Kids Crew can include, but are not limited to:
- Free Fruit for Kids in the Produce Department
- Instead of a cookie from the Bakery, we are proud to offer a free piece of fruit for kids to enjoy while in our store
- Supermarket Tours
- Coloring Sheet Contests and Seasonal Events such as Trick-or-Treating at Halloween
- Please check with your local store for these opportunities
While at home, please visit our Kids Crew webpage for a variety of fun, educational activities and recipes. Keep checking back on this page for updates to our Kids Crew programming.
Since Kids Crew is new this year, we are still developing and expanding the program. We will launch additional components of Kids Crew later this year and in 2020. Stay tuned for awesome additions including our mascots. In the meantime, invite your kids to our supermarket for shopping and into the kitchen to give this fun recipe a try:
Ham and Cheese Rollups
Recipe from: Our Family Foods
- 6 Our Family whole wheat tortillas
- 12 slices Kretschmar ham from the deli
- 12 slices Our Family Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the tortillas in half.
- On each tortilla half, have your kids place one slice of cheese and one slice of ham.
- Next, your kids can roll the tortilla up.
- If the rollup seem to be unrolling, the grown-up can place a toothpick thru each one to keep them rolled.
- Place your rollups on your baking sheet, evenly spaced.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool before serving and enjoy!
Note: if your kids like spinach, have them place spinach leaves between the cheese and ham for a healthier rollup!
"This medical and/or nutritional information is not intended to be a substitute for individual advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition."
Stephanie is an award-winning registered dietitian who believes in empowering every individual to make nutritious food choices to support a healthy lifestyle. She believes in the power of food as medicine and loves sharing about nutrition with others.